Brian addresses problems holistically by focusing upon people’s context, needs, tasks, and interactions that shape experiences with services or products. He specializes in designing with open web technologies, and is a proponent of accessible, progressively-enhanced, responsive web design. Brian holds a M.Ed in Instructional Design, and loves working where design and learning intersect.
Brian moderates an active private Slack community of over 50 Boston-area web professionals, which he founded in 2014. Outside of work, Brian is an active volunteer in his community, working with conservation groups and coaching youth sports.
Principal Designer, Founder
- Clarity & Hypertext
- January 2018–Present
- Bringing my UX and Instructional Design expertise to remote and Boston-area teams as an independent designer, for web– and Apple-based products.
Director of Design & Technology
- User Interface Engineering (UIE/Center Center. Inc.)
- October 2006–November 2017
- I designed and managed all of our web projects, and design and deploy our information systems, working directly for Jared M. Spool.
At UIE, I oversaw 9 years of event web sites, and the creation of the All You Can Learn user experience subscription library, from personas, scenarios and problem statements, to sketches, to development, to testing, and deployment. I managed more than a dozen collaborators, designers and developers. The sites and products I built have been responsible for millions in revenue, annually. I oversaw all company technology decisions, purchases, training and implementation.
In eleven years with the company I also produced dozens of live virtual seminars, and built UIE’s podcasting program from an experiment in 2006 into a program with tens of thousands of listeners. After I moved on to a primarily design role, the program continued on with well over 1.2 million downloads and its own full-time producer.
- Apple, Inc.
- November 2002–October 2006
- IT, troubleshooting, repair, consulting, training, sales.
- University of Massachusetts Boston
- M.Ed, Instructional Design, 2007–2011
- University of Connecticut
- B.A., Visual Communications, 1997–2001